Monday, November 3, 2008

Prayers for Election Day

When I was very little, my father took me with him to vote in the 1956 presidential election. I can still remember how he showed me marking his ballot with a rubber stamp X for his candidate (and let us allow the secrecy of the voting booth to remain; I won't tell you who he voted for). From that moment, the honor and privilege of voting was imprinted in my psyche. I have never missed voting in an election since the day I was eligible to vote. I hope everyone who reads this will vote tomorrow (if you haven't already), and let your conscience and the values of God's kingdom be your guide. 

Here are three prayers from the Book of Common Prayer (pps. 822-823) I hope you will hold close in the next two days.

For an Election

Almighty God, to whom we must account for all our powers and privileges: Guide the people of United States in the election of a President, and other officials and representatives; that, by faithful administration and wise laws, the rights of all may be protected and our nation be enabled to fulfill your purposes; through Jesus Christ our Lord. Amen.

For those in the Armed Services of our Country

Almighty God, we commend to your gracious care and keeping all the men and women of our armed forces at home and abroad. Defend them day by day with your heavenly grace; strengthen them in their trials and temptations; give them courage to face the perils which beset them; and grant them a sense of your abiding presence wherever they may be; through Jesus Christ our Lord. Amen.

For Social Justice

Grant, O God, that your holy and life-giving Spirit may so move every human heart and especially the hearts of the people of this land, that barriers which divide us many crumble, suspicions disappear, and hatreds cease; that our divisions being healed, we may live in justice and peace; through Jesus Christ our Lord. Amen.

No comments: