Tuesday, August 25, 2009

A word on words...

Until now, I have avoided setting down ground rules for this blog. But lately I've had to remove comments that were inappropriate. I want to give a little advice on what works and what doesn't. There are boundaries here, this is not a saloon.

It is my hope that this blog will be a place of dialogue and conversation. But please consider that you are a guest in someone's home (mine). Angry yelling may work for talk-radio, but it doesn't work here. Take your anger elsewhere. Present your point of view respectfully, and be open to others having a different point of view. Be respectful. Have a conversation. Take a deep breath before you hit the "submit" button.

And, I shouldn't have to spell this out, but I will:

1- Comments that are hateful toward any individual or groups will be removed. Period.

2- Comments that promote a commercial product will also be removed.

3- Keep it tasteful; use common sense and watch your language (this is a church blog).

4- I will not be drawn into arguments with anyone leaving an anonymous posting. You can leave an opinion anonymously, and if it is respectful, I will leave it stand. But do not expect a response from me. Conversation requires both parties introducing themselves. You know who I am, so have the courage of your convictions and stand by your comment with your name. Then we'll talk.

The name of this blog is Fiat Lux -- "Let There Be Light." So, please, shed light, not heat.

-- Jim

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

I appreciated your comments and more specifically, the guidelines you have set up. My own blog isn't even a discussion blog per se, yet I receive what can only be described as out of nowhere unmitigated anger.
Anyway, your guidelines gave me food for thought and if the pattern continues I may have to borrow/adapt them.