Sunday, January 4, 2009

"We are becoming clearer on what it means to be an Episcopalian"

I am back in Charlottesville, and enjoying the gorgeous sunny weather. Today's worship, with the entry of the three singing kings was wonderful. And I had the best seat in the house with the children watching the kings parade down the aisle. This afternoon I went to my first "Yule Log Hunt," and that was quite a production! Thanks to John Frazee and Chris Lee and all the cast for making this a joyful occasion.

In catching up, I came across a Washington Post on-line feature called Divine Impulses, with journalist Sally Quinn interviewing Presiding Bishop Katharine Jefferts Schori on the topic of homosexuality. The interview is brief and is worth a few minutes of your time. In it, Bishop Katharine observes that the silver lining of all of the controversy of recent years is that "We are becoming clearer on what it means to be an Episcopalian." You can see the interview below:


1 comment:

Anonymous said...

I am so grateful to be pointed to this video this morning, Jim. Once again, I am struck by the power of words: "It is a GIFT to be created homosexual .." just as much as any of the other possibilities that result in our various and varied expressions of creation are gifts.

Having never thought of the word being used this way -- and now, wanting to hear from my gay friends how this word resonates -- I feel that this morning I have been given a gift.

Leslie