Thursday, January 29, 2009

A Sense of Wonder

Perhaps you might be in need of a reminder that Spring will come. I know I am. Here is something I came across, another gift of Karen from Tennessee. This is from the great writer Rachel Carson who probably did more to raise environmental awareness than any other writer since John Muir. The photo I took on the beach at Carmel a few years ago on a winter day.

From A Sense of Wonder 
by Rachel Carson

If a child asked me a question that suggested even a faint awareness of the mystery behind the arrival of a migrant sandpiper on the beach of an August morning, I would be far more pleased than by the mere fact that he knew it was a sandpiper and not a plover....

Those who dwell, as scientists or laymen, among the beauties and mysteries of the earth are never alone or weary of life. Whatever the vexations or concerns of their personal lives, their thoughts can find paths that lead to inner contentment and to renewed excitement in living.

Those who contemplate the beauty of the earth find reserves of strength that will endure as long as life lasts. There is symbolic as well as actual beauty in the migration of the birds, the ebb and flow of the tides, the folded bud ready for spring. There is something infinitely healing in the repeated refrains of nature -- the assurance that dawn comes after night, and spring after the winter.

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

Liked that enough I won't bother mentioning that the bird on the beach in your picture is, I believe, a gull! I know. Her point is the wonder of it all ...